Radiation Island

During my final months at Atypical Games, I had the opportunity to work on another project, Radiation Island, a survival game that was quite different from Battle Supremacy.

This time, I was tasked with creating one of the game's three maps. It was an interesting change from my previous work, where I had focused on placing gameplay elements and scripting missions within existing environments. Radiation Island gave me the opportunity to work on a larger environment that players would explore as part of a survival experience.

Unlike the more structured missions I had worked on for Battle Supremacy, a survival game presents a different kind of challenge. Players aren't necessarily following a predefined sequence of objectives, so the environment itself becomes an important part of the experience. It needs to support exploration while remaining interesting and believable as a place within the game's world.

I found the project particularly interesting because it pushed me toward a different type of level design. Rather than focusing primarily on individual encounters or mission sequences, I was now working on an environment intended to support a broader gameplay experience.

Game trailer:

There's also something worth mentioning about this project: I've never been particularly fond of horror games. :))

I don't usually enjoy playing them, so working on a survival game with horror elements was a bit of a personal challenge. Still, I enjoyed the experience, especially the opportunity to contribute to a project that was different from the types of games I would normally choose to play.

Looking back, working on both Battle Supremacy and Radiation Island gave me exposure to two different approaches to level design early in my career. One involved building missions around existing environments, while the other involved creating a larger space for players to explore.

It was a relatively short period of my professional journey, but one that allowed me to build on the skills I had developed through modding and personal projects while becoming more familiar with professional game development.


You can find the game here.

Comments