Battle Supremacy

In June 2014, I took my first professional step into the gaming industry when I joined Atypical Games (now Revo Solutions) in Bucharest as a Level Designer. After spending years experimenting with game modding, creating maps, and learning how games worked through personal projects, I finally had the opportunity to apply that experience in a professional development environment.

The project I worked on was Battle Supremacy, a World War II action game featuring tanks, aircraft, and large-scale battles. My contribution focused on creating content for the game's Night Campaign, specifically three maps: Operation Fox Hunt, Utah, and Red Tide.

My responsibilities involved placing gameplay elements within existing environments and scripting them to create the missions players would experience. This meant working with the available level geometry, arranging the elements needed for each scenario, and defining how different parts of the mission would behave during gameplay. It was work I genuinely enjoyed, particularly because it combined the level design and scripting skills I had developed during my modding years with the requirements of an actual commercial game.

What made the experience different from my earlier projects was the context in which I was working. When creating maps as a hobby, I could experiment freely, change direction whenever I wanted, and spend as much time as I liked refining individual details. Working professionally introduced a different perspective: my contribution was part of a larger game, and the content I created needed to fit within an established product rather than simply reflect my personal preferences.

It was an important transition for me. I was no longer experimenting with someone else's game purely out of curiosity or building a small personal project to see whether I could finish it. I was contributing to a product developed by a professional team, with existing mechanics, technical constraints, and a specific gameplay experience in mind.

Utah Gameplay:


Game trailer:


You can find the game here.

Looking Back

Looking back, Battle Supremacy represented the point where my interest in game development became an actual career. The work itself felt familiar in many ways, especially the combination of level design and scripting, but the professional environment gave those skills a different purpose.

I had spent years learning through experimentation, often without knowing whether any of it would eventually become professionally useful. Being able to contribute to Battle Supremacy showed me that those experiences had given me a foundation I could build upon.

It was only the beginning, of course. I still had a great deal to learn about professional game development, and my responsibilities would evolve considerably in the years that followed. But this was where that journey officially started.

Comments